Monday, 25 April 2011

The Ghost of Electricity howls in the back room of the Blazer

It being a nice sunny day here in Edinburgh yesterday, I decided to fix the busted spoke on my road bike, and go for a spin to Peebles and back.  On the way home through the Moorfoot hills, my mind wandered on to the topic of bicycles in music.  I started considering how many references to cars there are in popular music, but how few to the bicycle.  I can't think of too many at all. 

 There's Queen's Bicycle Race I guess, which I'm not even sure I like.  There's The Smith's haunting Back To The Old House, ("When you cycled by/Here began all my dreams"), and there's Mungo Jerry's Pushbike Song.  And . . . er . . . er, I can't think of any more.  And none of them actually celebrate or venerate the bicycle like a lot of car-based songs do.  Maybe that is a songwriting challenge, to write a song that does just that.

I saw the Electric Ghosts last night at the jolly old Blazer, and enjoyed them as much as ever.  Disarmingly simple-sounding country-tinged songs, but with a good sense of melody and effective, hook-laden lyrics.  I shall have to try and catch the full-on band at some point, on the basis of the acoustic shows I've seen, it should be enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...not sure that Mungo Jerry ever did the Pushbike Song. How about Bike from PATGOD by the mighty Syd & Co? My own favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it was The Mixtures, trust me to get that wrong. Although, Mungo Jerry has recorded a cover of it ;)

    Your usage of the acronym PATGOD flummoxed me for a second there, but there can only be one Syd . . . er, I can't actually remember that track, but it does definitely reference a bicycle.

    ReplyDelete