Thursday, 17 March 2011

When the cat's away . . .

Both my flat-mates having gone out for the evening, I seized the opportunity to inexpertly bellow some songs in my room, and attempt to play the harmonica.  I should probably be able to practice like that when they're in, but I can't.  And the trouble is, they aren't both out at the same time very often.

I think it must be something to do with singing being more personal than playing an instrument.  I know of plenty of other musicians who feel the same, and wait until the coast is clear before letting rip.  And sometimes you do need to practice singing loud, like when you're due to host the Listening Room at the Blue Blazer on Sunday for the excellent Confushian.  As I am.  I'm really looking forward to it, actually.

Photoshop has stopped this now
Topic Change.  The name "Justin Bieber" has been another word for opprobrium and distaste for many.  In fact, I first became aware of him when my son expressed his extreme dislike for him.  I'm not still sure that I've ever heard his music, although I do somehow know, without wishing to, that he likes Cheryl Cole and has had his hair cut.


I was thinking, it's not so very different from when Donny Osmond was around.  Same target demographic, same artless child/man mercilessly exploited by all and sundry, who will probably end up in rehab someday (although I hope not).  All that's really changed these days is that the Internet allows people to vent their feelings for or against these figures.

I thought the Internet was going to change music and make it somehow more democratic? (cue hollow laughter turning into maniacal . . . - that's enough now - Ed)

No comments:

Post a Comment