Wednesday, 2 February 2011

The loneliness of the long-distance musician

The other day The Storm played at Celtic Connections, which was the third time I'd played on the Danny Kyle open stage (once with the dazzling Norman Lamont & The Innocents).   The DK open stage is a great thing, in my opinion, as it gives bands a chance to play with a decent PA and sound crew, to 230-odd people who are pretty much all listening to your music.  To a non-musician, that probably doesn't sound much, but to those of us who plough this lonely furrow, it means a lot.

So, it was fun, and we enjoyed most of the other acts who performed too, one of which I'm hoping to tempt to the Listening Room at some point.  So . . . surely I must have mentioned all this fun and enjoyment to my work colleagues, as I had to take a half day?

Well, no, I didn't.  I can't be arsed explaining anymore to people at work why I do it, how very little financial reward there is, etc.  For most people, it seems perplexing, or possibly a chance for some not-especially good "jokes" at your expense.  So, I didn't bother.  Then I wondered if I should have, so I enquired of the Doc if she'd mentioned it to the people at her work.

"Er . . . no", she said.  That confirmed my reticence.

This is not me

1 comment:

  1. Everyone has three lives: Public life, family life and secret life. Music should fit in there somewhere. Good post.

    ReplyDelete