Thursday, 26 August 2010

The Last Picture Show

I ambled along to The Picture House in Edinburgh on Sunday with the Doc of Rock, to see a very un-rock-like band, Beirut.  I'd never been to this venue before, and was interested to see what it was like.  I say I've never been here before, but I had once, a very long time ago, when it was an extremely grotty club.  Thankfully, it's no longer grotty, and is in fact quite presentable inside.  Kind of like a smaller, cleaner, more friendly Barrowlands, but without having yet earned that rock 'n' roll grit.

 I wasn't sure what Beirut would sound like live, as a lot of their songs have orchestral instruments.  It was surprisingly powerful, partly because they dispensed with any songs requiring strings, and instead focussed on the brass section ones.  When a trumpet, trombone, and a higher trumpet-thing all blast in together, it fairly makes an impact.  All the musicians were great, and the singing was excellent too.  All in all, I think I enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to.  And, all that without too many recognisable lyrics or choruses.  As the Doc remarked though, it was like the instrumental passages were the choruses.  I guess that's what they call a refrain?

It's a shame there aren't more bands that I want to see appearing at The Picture House, they often seem to have well-known covers bands or the like.  That's the rough and tumble of the post-modern milieu I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment