Wednesday, 11 August 2010

An experiment

So, I went with the Doc to see Susanna McDonald's Experimentalista show.  I'd seen a sort of warm-up gig at OOTB some weeks before, so I had some idea of what to expect.  What I hadn't realised was that Susanna was accompanied by a dancer, which is sometimes enough to make me run screaming from the room, but in this case, I think it worked.

The show itself was more reminiscent of cabaret-style entertainment than your average singer-songwriter showcase, which in my mind suited Susanna perfectly.  All those years strumming a guitar, and she sounds better with a piano.  Who'd have thought?  There were tender moments, occasions of powerful drama, and even fear at some points.  I'd recommend it.  It's interesting to see a performer adapt to the Fringe, and it's well done in my view.

The only criticism IMHO would be that for me, there didn't seem to be a lot of recognisable choruses in the songs, although some I was hearing for the first time.  For some people, that's not a problem, but I like to have something to hang off.  It probably mattered less in this setting, as there was always a visual element to keep you entertained.  But well done Susanna!

No comments:

Post a Comment