Tuesday, 13 July 2010

The elimination of all I hold dear

So, I was in London t'other day, which was brilliant.  Again I am reminded of the massive part sunshine plays in life, and therefore, in music.  At 31 degrees centigrade, suddenly reggae and samba make sense.  I'm not sure if they truly do at 2 degrees looking out onto a windswept bleak day in Edinburgh so much.

Anyway.  I had timed my run to London to perfection, arriving literally minutes prior to Andy BHT(Big Hair Thompson)'s band, fuzzystar & the malfunctioning androids, starting up, not bad from a range of 400-odd miles.  It was very enjoyable, always interesting to see how solo acoustic songs sound as band songs.  When you've a sideman of the quality of Andrew MH (Medium Hair) Thompson's quality, it's never going to sound bad.


Something else I've been contemplating though, is nothing other than the cold-blooded elimination of a personal part of my life.  What I am talking about, is nothing other than punting all of my vinyl and CD's, hopefully after digitising them first in some form.  It doesn't seem right; some of these records have been around longer than my oldest friends.  They are inextricably intertwined with some of my formative experiences.


Why then, do this heinous act?  For the grubby prosaic reality of saving space, ladies and gents of the jury, having recently moved to a place where there is a fair bit less of that.  And also, some of that stock of music I haven't exactly been listening to on a regular basis.  But, still.


So, any advice on what digital route to take???

1 comment:

  1. Why get rid of them all? I've kept a couple of boxes of CDs that I wasn't quite ready to punt yet - hopefully in time I'll be able to get rid of more and more of them...

    Mind you, once you start going through the collection and pick out the good stuff, it's pretty hard to draw a line as to what goes or stays.

    As for digitising, I ripped all my CDs using Windows Media Player, which was possibly a mistake as the quality is set fairly low (and I didn't think to check until afterwards). If you are using a similar program to do it and you have oodles of storage then I recommend setting the bit rate as high as possible...

    My few experiments with vinyl have not provided fantastic results - whilst listenable they're not even as good quality as a poor CD rip. Maybe see if you can pick up a 2nd hand USB turntable on eBay or something - presumably once people have digitised their vinyl collection they get rid of it?

    ReplyDelete