Thursday, 29 July 2010

Do you want MOR?

I've noticed an odd thing happening in my street.  As well as bozos cycling on the pavements, people regularly walk right down the middle of the road, as they go up the street.  Why they choose to do this, I do not know.  Apart from the danger aspect, surely it's not particularly interesting to walk down a street staring at the backs of dully respectable parked cars as you do so.  Not when you can have all the fun of looking into people's houses, gardens, talking to cats, etc. which you get from the pavement.

"Fair enough", you may be thinking, "But what's that got to do with music, Bozo features?"

It's just that I've often noticed a similar parallel in music.  People, quite often very musically talented people, appear extremely keen to occupy a middle of the road position in music, in fact they've probably worked damn hard to do that.  You know the sort of thing; incredibly polished, accomplished band, not a note out of place, sounded great for half a song in soundcheck, but come the gig, it's so bland it makes one feel faintly nauseous.  You find yourself thinking, "With all that talent at their disposal, they came up with that??".

I find myself these days enjoying the more original artists, even if it's not performed perfectly.  Practice be damned!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi 'The Bozo'

    I'm producing feature for Amazing Radio about the Edinburgh music scene and was wondering if you have a contact email I can use to get in touch with you? My email is frankie.ward@amazing-media.com

    Frankie Ward

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Norman: To name names would be a touch indiscreet, but you know I'm not talking about you :) Or any of the MASSIVELY TALENTED bands you've been involved with, especially the fabulous Wright Brothers ;)

    @Frankie: I will be in touch!

    ReplyDelete