Wednesday, 12 May 2010

Going out in front

So . . . I played a gig as a front man for a band.  A "band" in this case being a somewhat loose confederation of friendly bods who had never actually played the songs together until the final practice.  Namely, The Doc, The Fi, and Obi-Norm-Kenobi. Still, in my mind that is a band, and being "only" acoustic at the jolly old Blazer probably only heightened the queasy feeling I got in my stomach during the day.  No mic to hide behind, and variable powers of vocal projection, not to mention pitching.

In the end, it turned out all right, due in part to the tolerant good nature of the crowd there, most of whom I knew.  Due also in no small part, to the talents of those friends who have been good enough to support this venture, and devote some of their time to it.  It still didn't stop me clearing a fair section of the back room's seating, but better ones than I have also done that, so no shame there.

So, that's one more thing that I won't now wish to have done before I die.  In musical terms, I've done a few different things, but I hadn't done that before, so it was an interesting experience.  I don't think I'll be rushing to repeat it however, as I don't particularly like being the centre of attention, and I think I probably enjoy singing more than people like listening to me sing.

I think what it made me realise is how valuable the contribution of other people can be.  Suddenly your half-formed idea sounds not half bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment